The Cycle of Sustainability.
The installation of the new machinery also marks further progress in Mondi’s ambition to further digitalise its business by using more advanced analytics and automation to better serve its customers with innovative and sustainable packaging and paper solutions.
“This investment in our Szczecin plant has strengthened our e-commerce packaging approach. With our expanded range of sustainable solutions, like our award winning SizeMeMailer and Envelope Mailer, and greater production capacity, our customers will enjoy more packaging options and faster deliveries. In parallel, the arrival of these new machines will result in reducing our energy consumption as we focus on limiting our carbon footprint in order to contribute to a better world” explains Armand Schoonbrood, COO, Mondi Corrugated Solutions
Sustainable packaging solutions for e-commerce market with corrugated box production
The new equipment includes a five-colour Bobst Masterline 2.1 HD and a Robot MUK, which will produce sustainable packaging solutions for the growing e-commerce market in north-eastern Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Poland. Both machines will be equipped with automatic palletisers, run at faster speeds to increase production capacity and ensure high quality printing. Mondi’s award winning 100% recyclable SizeMeMailer and Envelope Mailer alongside other packaging solutions will be produced from this site.
Mondi’s expanded range of e-commerce packaging solutions follows the ‘3-e approach’ of being more efficient, economic and easy. Not only do they maximise convenience and the customer experience, they can also reduce the costs of logistics and contribute to greater sustainability by reducing product and material waste.
ScanStar 2019 award winner for reducing environmental footprint for online shopping:
- 100% recyclable made from sustainably-sourced corrugated box production material;
- Less raw materials used to make the product;
- More cost effective for e-retailers with lower overall packaging costs;
- Adjusts to three different height levels depending on the product to be inserted in the packaging;
- E-retailers spend less on transport/ shipping costs as it takes up less spaceTamper resistant due to its integrated side walls so e-retailers spend less on damage/ potential theft.
EnvelopeMailer: hybrid between a standard mailer and a box
The unique rigid construction of the corrugated board EnvelopeMailer is made entirely from renewable resources. A hybrid between a standard mailer and a box, it can be shipped flat, elevated or box-shaped and snugly holds products up to 7cm tall in place for extra protection. As it adjusts to the product, without the use of size adjusting via crease lines, it also reduces the number of different packaging types in the fulfilment process.
It further eliminates the need for polyethylene bubble wrap and fillers used to cushion small and mid-sized, lightweight, pressure and shock sensitive items during transportation, especially of smaller consumer electronics.
- Recyclable and biodegradable – made 100% from renewable resources;
- Reduces unnecessary transport volumes to lower transport emission impact;
- Saves packaging filler and cushioning material with increased product protection.